STAIN REMOVAL TIPSLearn some helpful tips from our carpet cleaning experts.
Spot Removal Steps
1. Act Quickly! Most carpet available today has been treated with a stain-resist treatment in the factory, so many spills can be removed if immediate action is taken. Even with that treatment, spills will still settle in. The longer you wait, the higher the probability is that a spill becomes a permanent stain. Remember, staining is influenced by many factors, and no carpet is completely stain proof.
2. Blot liquids with a dry, white, absorbent cloth or white paper toweling (no printing).
3. Don’t scrub it in! Scrubbing may cause pile distortion in the affected area and push the spills deeper. Continue to use a dry cloth or paper towels until the area is completely dry. For semi-solids, gently scrape up with a rounded spoon. Solids should be broken up and vacuumed until completely removed. Follow the spot remover directions carefully.
4. Pretest any spot removal agent in an inconspicuous area to be certain the solution will not damage the fiber or the dye. After applying several drops to the testing area, hold a white cloth on the wet area for 10 seconds. Examine the carpet and cloth for color transfer, color change, or damage to the carpet. If a change occurs, another cleaning solution should be selected.
5. Apply a small amount of the selected cleaning solution to a white cloth and work in gently.
6. Work from the edges of the spill to the center to prevent the spill from spreading. Don’t scrub!
7. Continue using the first cleaning solution as long as there is a transfer of the spill to the cloth. It is not necessary to use all of the cleaning solutions if the first solution removes the spill.
8. Be patient! Complete removal of the spill may require repeating the same step several times. Do not continue to step 9 until the stain has been completely removed.
9. Rinse the affected area thoroughly with cold water, and blot with a dry cloth until all of the solution has been removed. Some cleaning solutions will cause rapid soiling if the solution is not completely removed.
10. Apply a one-half inch layer of white paper towels to the affected area, and weigh down with a flat, heavy object. Continue to change paper towels as needed. A dry, absorbent, cleaning compound may be used as a substitute to accelerate drying time.
If the stain can’t be lifted, despite your best efforts, give us a call at Chem-Dry Windy City. We specialize in removing stains from carpets!
Arm your home with Chem-Dry World Famous® Spot Remover for Water-Based Spills and World Famous® Grease & Oil Remover for oil-based spots.
We provide superior residential and commercial carpet and upholstery cleaning services throughout the greater Chicago metro area including: Northern Cook County, Lake County, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Oak Park, Park Ridge, River Grove, Skokie, Wheaton, Wilmette, Winnetka, Schaumburg and the surround communities.