Fall brings a kaleidoscope of colors, cooler temperatures and, for many of us, the onset of major allergy season. As the leaves fall and the season brings sometimes very wet weather there are a few typical triggers for fall allergies. The biggest offenders are ragweed, mold and dust mites.
Ragweed is a major cause of fall allergies. In most parts of the country ragweed will continue to release pollen well into October. Mold is another major cause of allergy symptoms. Piles of leaves and damp areas outside and inside the home are places where mold can quickly grow. Dust mites, eager to get out of the cooler weather, will migrate into our homes and accumulate in all of our most comfortable places like furniture beds and carpet.
Luckily, with some planning and organization, it can be relatively easy to deal with these triggers and minimize the impact of fall allergy season. Here are several tips to keep you one step ahead:
1. Clean all vents and air filters in your home prior to turning on heating units.
2. Keep on a regular schedule of dusting your home and use damp cloths which help contain the dust instead of just spreading it around.
3. Wash your sheets and bedding on a regular basis…weekly is recommended.
4. Keep shower curtains clean. The bottom edge of fabric shower curtains is a prime spot for mold to grow.
5. Vacuum as often as possible and use a HEPA-filter machine if you can.
6. It’s good practice to have your carpets, rugs and upholstery cleaned by a professional regularly. For carpets, 2-3 times per year is the recommended schedule. Fall is the perfect time to prepare your home for holiday festivities and remove built-up dirt, bacteria and other allergens.
Chem-Dry, the world’s leading carpet cleaner, is committed to helping people enjoy a healthy life at home. Our proprietary hot carbonating extraction process removes as much as 98% of common household allergens from carpet and upholstery and up to 89% of the airborne bacteria when a sanitizer is added.* Our green certified solutions are perfect for your family and pets. They contain safe and non-toxic ingredients without soap or other detergents. Because Chem-Dry uses 80% less water than typical steam cleaning, your carpets dry faster too. To find a certified Chem-Dry carpet cleaner in your area, use our handy locator tool and get this busy fall season off to a clean and healthy start.